Saturday, February 21, 2009

I'm a Movin' Mama!

Moms In Motion Elk Grove Winter'09 Team

Do we look hot or what? Actually it's 40 degrees or so at 7:00 in the morning. And we're not smiling, we're grinning from the frigid air!

I joined a local Moms In Motion group last month in search of some camaraderie and some level of fitness. This team was a perfect match. Our group trains for 8 weeks to accomplish a couple goals: first, to fight childhood obesity and raise funds for a local community organization (NADA); and second, to complete a 5K, whether it be by walking or running. We are comprised of all levels of fitness experience and mommy experience, too!

So, these past few Saturdays, I've managed to sneak out of the house to meet up with these fine ladies for a workout at 7:00 in the morning. (Did I mention, we meet up for coffee afterwards? I'm so there!) We have a schedule to follow during the week on our own, while our Saturdays are reserved for our hard-core workouts - 2.25 miles today, thank you very much!! We are building up to run (or walk) at our culminating event at the end of March, the Nutrition Fuels Fitness Run. Then, we get to party!

How am I doing? I'm moving! Walking outdoors is SO much different than walking (or running) on a treadmill, which I do during the week in the evening. I'm proud to say, though I'm not a full-time runner (yet!) I am pushing myself to complete each predetermined distance. Timing's an issue to work on later. I'm in no hurry!

Check out a group near you! I'm already planning on signing up for the next mission.

Hands in for our cheer!


Photos by MIM member and photographer, Alyson Viducich.

2 comments:

Kelli W said...

This sounds like so much fun!! And such a great way to get in shape and make some new friends! I have been hitting the walking track with some friends from church a few nights a week, and we have a fun time walking and talking!

Joan said...

Fantastic, Andria! I am glad you are finding motivation where as I am lacking it in a big way!